This fun and easy to make project is a win-win-win: you get to upcycle, create your own beautiful decor AND make your pooch happy! If you don’t have dogs, use a smaller drawer and just one cushion to create a cozy space for smaller pets. Check out how easy it is to repurpose a drawer into a dog bed.
Drawer into Dog Bed Supplies
- Dresser Drawer
- Cushion Foam: 18″ x 18″ x 4″
- Cushion Wrap
- Poly-Fil Fiber Fill
- 2 yards of fabric
- Paint & Brushes
- Sewing Machine
- Wood Fill or Caulk
- Optional: Weather Soft Pillow Insert
I made a short video that shows how easy it is to make your own drawer dog bed. Here is a step by step summary of the instructions from the video:
- Remove all hardware from the dresser drawer, and fill/repair holes with wood filler or caulk. Sand if needed.
- Paint the drawer. I opted for a two tone design that matched the fabric. I painted the sides one color and the front and back a different color. Let the paint dry and apply a second application if needed.
- Trace the drawer onto the cushions to create cut lines. Use a foam cutting tool (I use an old electric meat cutter) to cut the cushion foam to fit the drawer.
- Wrap the two cushions with Cushion Wrap to cover the seams.
- Cut the fabric to wrap around the cushions, leaving ample fabric to cover the sides.
- Sew the fabric to create a pillow case, leaving one side open. Slide the fabric case over the cushions.
- Place the covered cushion in the drawer. Tuck in the edges.
- Sew a tube of fabric and fill it with Poly-Fil Fiber Fill. Tuck this into the side of the drawer to create a cushion.
- (Optional) Make a pillow and use the Weather Soft Pillow Insert so the pillow will be waterproof and easy to keep clean.
My dog LOVES his new bed, and I bet your pet will, too!