You or someone special will love this Heart Cuddle Pillow for Valentine’s Day. It’s simple to make and can be done in about half an hour.
And as added motivation to make one of your own, Fairfield and Shannon Fabrics have teamed up to offer some great giveaways, so you can win your own Cuddle Cakes. See this post for more details.
- 1 – Cuddle Cake from Shannon Fabrics. I used the Pretty Pastels with Dimple Finish. The Pretty in Pink Cuddle Cake would also be super fun for this project. My personal favorite minky is the flat finish, but this was for my daughter and she prefers the dimples.
- 1 – 16 or 18 inch Home Elegance Pillow Insert from Fairfield.
- Free Heart Applique Template from here.
- Paper backed fusible webbing.
- Thread to match the color of your heart.
- Pins, sewing machine, basic sewing supplies, etc.
Choose the color you want for your heart, plus two background colors for the front of your pillow. I chose the bright pink for the heart and the silver and white as my background colors. You’ll also need to choose two colors for the back of the pillow. I chose light pink and purple for the back.
Sew your four squares together to make the front of your pillow. Repeat for the back. If you’ve never sewn with Cuddle Fabrics before, be sure to read the Cuddle tips on the Shannon Fabrics Website before you start. The basics are that you need to pin A LOT especially with the dimple fabric. Use a walking foot if you’ve got one, and I sewed with a 3/8 inch seam.
DON’T backstitch at the beginning and end or you will end up with extra heaving looking stitching. Instead, LEAVE YOUR THREAD TAILS LONG, and pull them through to the back side of your fabric. Then tie a secure double knot on the back.
Trim your front and back pieces to fit the size of your pillow insert. I was using a 16-inch pillow insert, so I trimmed mine down to 17-inch squares to allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance on each side.
Happy Valentine’s Day…and Happy Pillow Making.
~Polly from Pieces by Polly