Holly Jolly Stamped Accent Pillow by guest designer Carmen Flores Tanis BZZY LITTLE BEE . We hope you think her project is as adorable as we do.
I am so delighted to be a guest blogger today and to share with you a fun accent pillow which I made using Fairfield World products. This little accent pillow was inspired by a letterpress class I once took. But instead of metal type and paper, I used stamps and Oly*Fun fabric. This is a fun way to make your own custom fabrics quickly and easily.
Holly Jolly Stamped Accent Pillow
Materials for accent pillow:
- Oly*Fun Multi-Purpose Craft Material – 20″ x 3 Yds rolls – Cherry Pop, Snow White, Sky Blue
- 12″ x 16″ rectangle round Poly-fil® Soft Touch® pillow insert
- Tulip® Fabric Markers™ Fine Writer Tip Pack (red, light blue, dark blue)
- Ann Butler Designs EZ-De’s 2″ Flourish Alphabet Stamps
- Color Box Crafters Ink by Clearsnap: Night
- Clear acrylic stamping blocks
- Westcott Brand Scissors
- Sewing Machine
- White thread / pins
- Iron /pressing cloth
Instructions for accent pillow:
1. Cut two 18″ x 5 1/2″ rectangles from the Cherry Pop Oly*fun fabric. Cut a strip 18″ x 4″ from the Snow White Oly*fun. Cut two 18″ x 14″ rectangles and two 18″ x 1 1/2″ strips from the Sky Blue Oly*fun. If the fabric is wrinkled, use an iron set to “low” and a pressing cloth. (Be careful here because you don’t want your iron to get too hot and melt the Oly*Fun.)
2. Stamp the word “Holly” all over one red rectangle and the word “Jolly” on the second red rectangle. Heat set the ink by covering the stamped rectangles with a pressing cloth and iron. (Again, be careful that your iron does not get too hot and melt the Oly*Fun.)
3. Pin the blue strips to the white strip and stitch with a 1/2″ seam. Fold the seams toward the blue fabric and top stitch.
5. Draw a simple holly berries and leaves design on a piece of paper to use as a pattern. Place the pattern under the white strip and trace it with the fabric markers. Decorate the entire white strip.
6. To make the back opening of the pillow case, fold over 6″ of the end of one of the 18″ x 14″ blue rectangles. Topstitch 1/2″ from the folded end. Repeat for the second blue rectangle. Place the stamped piece face side up on the table and pin the blue rectangles face side down with the folded ends overlapped in the middle. Stitch a 1/2″ seam all along the outer edges. Trim the corners.
7. Turn the pillow case inside out by reaching into the opening that is made by the overlapped blue rectangles. Stuff the Poly-fil® Soft Touch® pillow insert into the pillow case and fluff it into place.
I had so much fun making this! Oly*Fun is a lovely material – it cuts beautifully and the colors are so vibrant. And by adding an opening to the back of the pillow case, it is easy to remove the pillow insert and add it to a new pillow case. Try stamping your own personal message and changing up the color scheme to match any holiday, season or event. Fairfield World makes it so easy!
Now for a few questions to help us get to know Carmen a little better. We loved the technique she used on the pillow and the results are adorable.