DIY Calming Weighted Lap Pad
Categories: Utility, Kid Friendly, Quilts
Weighted lap pads and blankets are widely used to help calm people with anxiety, ADHD, autism, and other conditions. The human body finds the weight soothing. It’s easy to make your own weighted pad with some fabric and poly-pellets. Pop it in the freezer to use as a cooling pack to make it especially refreshing during the summer or to help with a headache. Make one for yourself or a child you love. If you’re making it for a child, choose fabric in bright colors and themes that they enjoy.
Note: These instructions are not intended to be taken as medical advice, nor are the weighted pads meant to take the place of recommendations given by your doctor or therapist.
What you need to make this project
- Poly-Fil® Poly Pellets® Weighted Stuffing Beads 2 pound Bag
- Two coordinating cotton or cuddle fabrics
- Smooth Fusible Fleece Interfacing (Optional)
- Extra sewing machine needles
- Coordinating Thread
- Sewing Machine and related supplies
- Chop stick or thin stick
- Tablespoon measure